Seahawks WR Sidney Rice announces his retirement

Sidney Rice

Seattle Seahawks wide receiver Sidney Rice has decided to retire from the NFL.

“I was just thinking about things I’ve been through in the last few years,” said Rice to the team’s website. “I’ve hit the ground a number of times. I have quite a few injuries. It’s something I’ve always battled through and came back from.

“But I just figure at this point I have the rest of my life ahead of me and I want to be able to function and do things later down the road.”

Rice, 27, signed a one-year contract with the Seahawks in April after the team released him on Feb. 28 in a salary-cap related move.

Rice, who tore an ACL last season in a game at St. Louis, has battled knee issues for several years, missing large portions of two of the last three seasons after signing a five-year, $41 million contract with Seattle in 2011.

Last year, Rice caught 15 passes and scored three touchdowns before his injury. He had 50 catches for 748 yard and seven touchdowns in 2012.

“I set out as a 6-year old to be a professional athlete,” Rice said. “I’ve accomplished that goal, and there were so many more things that were amazing along the way. I never dreamed about making the Pro Bowl. I never dreamed about winning the Super Bowl. But those things came along with the dedication. And then there are the people I’ve met along the way.

“It’s just been so good.”

Use your ← → (arrow) keys to browse

Share with your friends