PGA Tour says Dustin Johnson is not suspended

Dustin Johnson

The PGA Tour issued a statement Friday afternoon regarding Dustin Johnson and his reported suspension.

“With regard to media reports that Dustin Johnson has been been suspended by the PGA TOUR, this is to clarify that Mr. Johnson has taken a voluntary leave of absence and is not under a suspension from the PGA TOUR,” the statement read.

Golf.com reported Friday that Johnson is serving a six-month suspension from the PGA Tour after testing positive for cocaine.

The PGA Tour began drug testing in July 2008.

From Golf.com:

According to the source, Johnson has failed three drug tests: one for marijuana in 2009 and two for cocaine, in 2012 and 2014. He was previously suspended for the 2012 failed test, but that suspension was never made public. Under the PGA Tour’s drug-testing policies, the Tour is not required to announce any disciplinary actions against players who test positive for recreational drugs.

On Thursday, Johnson issued a statement announcing his intentions to take a break from professional golf.

“I am taking a leave of absence from professional golf, effective immediately. I will use this time to seek professional help for personal challenges I have faced,” Johnson said in his statement. “By committing the time and resources necessary to improve my mental health, physical well-being and emotional foundation, I am confident that I will be better equipped to fulfill my potential and become a consistent champion.

“I respectfully ask my fans, well-wishers and the media for privacy as I embark upon this mission of self-improvement.”

Johnson, who has eight PGA Tour titles, did not specify the length of his absence.  But according to the PGA of America, the 30-year-old Johnson will miss next week’s PGA Championship and the Ryder Cup Sept. 28-30.

 

Use your ← → (arrow) keys to browse

Share with your friends










Submit